Wednesday, March 5, 2008

TIF Crazy Quilt block

This month's Take It Further Challenge theme was noticing the small things.
Here is the color scheme.


It is due to my entomology classes from college, but when I think of small things, they are almost always bugs. I also happened to be perusing Sharon B's 100 details right before the challenge was posted so I was already in CQ thinking mode. Luckily enough, Purple was one of the colors for the challenge, so I decided to embellish my first CQ block.


Here is the whole block. I'm going to call it "Going Buggy".


I put a few jokes in it, like the grasshopper jumping with a pogo stick...
You can't really see them in black, but there are my first miserable attempts at ribbon embroidery.


A pair of lovebugs


Buttons for the sake of buttons, experimenting with a different embellishing style than I'm used to...



My cute spider took a couple of tries to get right. She is holding a tiny little rhinestone flower.


She has time to smell the flowers, as you can see she already has dinner wrapped up in her web...
(practicing my bullion stitch)


So that's it! My first block. I'm glad I'm done with it. I will have to sketch out my designs next time instead of free handing them all, so they won't look so sloppy.

4 comments:

Gerry said...

Very nice work. The spider is wonderful. I never even thought to use a button.

Anonymous said...

This looks great! I also liked the little yo yo hairclips and the hankie bunny! I ve got some vintage hankies I may just have to try this out! - you are busy - 2 blogs,challenges, little boys...and toilet training Jimmy!

Magpie Sue said...

Your spider is wonderful! I would never have thought to do one that way. And I'm still trying to decide what to do for my March TIF :-P

gocrazywithme said...

Jennifer,
beautiful block! I love bugs too. I don't think your work looks sloppy at all, so don't tie yourself to that "planning" business if it really isn't your style. Learn to love the outcome; whether it's what you originally intended or not!
Janet