Tuesday, April 15, 2008

New beginnings

*edited to add- I just realized why I like this piece so much- It's almost exactly like the picture I chose to be in the personality header on this blog! Shows you how much I pay attention!*

This is my work for this month's TIF challenge.

The concept was "How do you see change?" and the color scheme was unappealing to me, so I didn't use it.

As a military wife and a mom to small children, I see change everyday, sometimes big ones...

There are new skills like walking to learn and new assignments and places to live on a regular basis...

I try to roll with the changes as best at I can, but that doesn't mean I don't get whiney about them!

To show how change is natural and inevitable, I first thought to do a life cycle type thing with caterpillars and butterflies, but the I wanted to do a series with birds, nests and babies.
I sketched and sketched, but couldn't get anything I liked, when I remembered I had a pattern in one of my books with birds in a nest.

I chose to do this one in redwork because it is the most traditional embroidery style for this type of image. I love how it is such a spring-y picture, and it has a caterpillar in it, too!

So I called it Every new beginning is a blessing. Hopefully it will remind me that change is a good thing, and I can't stop it anyway when it is happening...



You can click on the picture to see a bigger version of it...

3 comments:

Meg in Tennessee said...

I love redwork and your design is wonderful. Great TIF this month.

Anonymous said...

Lovely redwork - a great idea for TIF. the colours didnt appeal to me either! your little hankie bunny are cut too - i love the patchwork one the best though!

jaffy said...

Beautiful redwork. You've put so much detail into it. Great work.